Everything is great here in Boracay. Tomorrow the Boracay Funboard Cup starts, with competitions in both kitesurfing and windsurfing. I am not going to participate, but I might write a report from it, it is one of Asias most known wind- and kitesurfing events, and a whole bunch of pro’s are going to compete.
25th NEILPRYDE Boracay International Funboard Cup
Actually it is the 25:th time the Boracay Funboard Cup is held here. First it was only windsurfing, but now also kitesurfing.
Short facts about Boracay Funboard Cup:
- Sponsored by NeilPryde and co-sponsored by Cabrinha Kiteboarding.
- Established in 1988 by windsurfing couple Nenette and Roby Graf as a wedding anniversary celebration.
- Neil Pryde himself has continued to support the event since 1996.
- The kiteboarding division was added in 2005.
- Professional and amateur contenders from Asia, Oceania, and Europe joins the event.
- In 2011, Asia Spa magazine listed the cup among “Asia’s Top Ten Participant-Friendly Sporting Events”.
- Recognized as Asia’s Best Boardsailing Blast by HK based Action Asia Magazine.
What events can you compete in as a kiteboarder?
- Speed Competition
- Kite Slalom – standard twin tip boards only
- Old School Best Trick – strictly hooked (The Cabrinha Big Air Challenge)
I am really looking forward to the freestyle and the Airstyle, in-hooked oldschool madness! It is also quite fun that you cannot join the slalom competition with a race-board, you need to have a twintip. That is because they want more amateurs in, and they do not own race-boards. And that makes the competition a little more even.
Maybe I try to film some tricks and add to the blog, at least I hope to get a lot of inspiration for learning new tricks!
Additional sponsors in Boracay Funboard Cup
Sponsored and supported by the Department of Tourism, the Municipality of Malay, NielPryde, Cabrinha, Greenyard Funboard & NielPryde/Cabrinha Test Center, Hangin Cabrinha Kite School, Boracay Regency Beach Resort and Spa, Seair, Tiger Airways, Aqua Boracay by Yoo, The Boracay Beach Resort, American Tourister, Escondido Beach Resort, Boracay Island Water Co, Willy’s Beach Club Hotel, Rieseling Boracay Beach Resort, Seawind, 7 Stones Boracay Suites, Tonglen Beach Resort, Alice in Wonderland, Laguna de Boracay, The Lazy Dog, Pancake House Boracay, Café del Mar, Nature Springs, Cyma Beach Shack, Epic Boracay, Levantin, Boracay Kite Center, Shangri-la’s Boracay Resort and Spa, Lemon Café, Mandala Spa & Villas, Le Soleil de Boracay, Dos Mestizos, Red Coconut Beach Hotel and the entire Boracay Community.